Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rhymes with Orange - She Forgot to Laugh

She Forgot to Laugh – Rhymes with Orange

I remember seeing the video to this song on MuchMusic during my addiction to the channel in my late teens early twenties. I thought I was so hip when I new canadian band was featured and I was the first within my group to brag about how awesome they were.



It wasn't the most original video by any stretch. Band in a dark, bare room, couple flood lights in the background, cut aways to cute girl holding picture frame, weird camera angles, camera zooms and pans. Very low budget. Canadian acts never had a lot of money to spend on videos but they did the best they could.

I did a quick Google search on the band and eventually came to Wikipedia with this

RWO formed in Vancouver in the early 1990s. Rob Lulic and Alexander Julien were looking for a fresh new singer to assist them in the upcoming Battle of the bands. After a chance meeting with Manchester born singer [[Lyndon Johnson (musician), Rymes With Orange was formed. The group has since released four CDs and toured North America, Great Britain, Mainland Europe, and New Zealand.
RWO has had three top 10 singles on Canadian Rock Radio and sales of over 70,000 CDs worldwide.

That's it. Obviously had a HUGE impact on the canadian music scene.

The only other reference I remember seeing about them was about 5-8 years ago in an article talking about why canadian musicians can't make any money. It featured RWO and how they were dropped by there record label for poor sales. In the interview, Lyndon Johnson said (I'm para phrasing) “It would be easy for us to write a top ten single and sell lots of records but as a band we want to be more than that.” I read that and wondered if his ego helped pay his rent when he stopped selling records.

It's a shame they didn't do better as I really enjoyed the few songs I heard. Toy Train and ... ummm.. another one that's escaping me at the moment. I guess I didn't enjoy them enough to buy the CD (am I to blame for there lack of record sales) but I would turn the volume up a little bit whenever it came on the radio.

What sticks out with me about this particular song is the acoustic guitar jam that starts off the chorus. The song starts like a typical rock songs, electric guitar riff opens a couple bars, drums come in then the main hook plays and it gets loud. Singer starts to sing etc... (the Youtube video doesn't do it justice. Obviously of poor quality) What I thought was unique when I first hear the song was the acoustic guitar “solo” each time the chorus comes in. And not a solo in the traditional sense but just the player banging out 4 chords. It gave the song an interesting twist. The single will always have a place on my iPod. It's a good example of straight ahead canadian rock.

1 comment:

  1. the song she forgot to laugh powerful fantastic tune

    ReplyDelete