Monday, July 26, 2010

Oren Lavie - Ruby Rises




I’m going to go out on a limb and say this is a song about someone waking up in the morning. I’m no English major but that much is clear. This fits with the music, a dreamy and meandering tune that will lull you into a daydream and distract you from the lyrics. Honestly this is the first time I really paid attention to the words and I’ve heard the song countless times.

I discovered Oren Lavie like millions of other people through his incredible video for “Her Morning Elegance”



I love music videos for the simple fact that the makers can be as creative as they want and there aren’t any rules for them to follow. Music videos don’t even have to have anything to do with the song being sung. A recent example is California Girls by Katy Perry. As lame as the song is, you can’t argue that the video doesn’t keep you glued to the TV set. (I won’t post it here as I’m trying to keep the blog PG). I don’t think the song would have been as big of a hit if it weren’t for the half naked girls dancing around in Candy Land. I read the lyrics, not one mention of a Candy Land pimp.

Music videos are great medium artists use to really explore, be creative and showcase a wonderful sense of the surreal. They can turn lame cookie cutter pop music into 4 minute works of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment