Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bon Jovi - Someday I'll be Saturday Night

Released in 1994 on Bon Jovi's Greatest Hits album "Crossroads"



I got into Bon Jovi when I was in grade 12 and their Keep the Faith album came out. Yeah it was a few years after they were "big" in the 80's but KTF was their comeback album of sorts I really got into the title track. I would quickly buy "Slippery when Wet" and "New Jersey". Never saw the need to pick up their first two albums.

Since it came out on a best of album, I knew pretty much all the songs already. The big single for the album was "Always" which can be heard at weddings and karaoke bars across the world. But I always enjoyed "Someday.." more. It had a nifty guitar lick to kick the song off and quickly jumps into a simple 3 chord, acoustic ditty, an upbeat song with some pretty dark lyrics. The main characters in the song are Jim and Billie Jean who talk about how shitty their lives are. Jim is unemployed and living in his car, Billie Jean is a prostitute and was raped by her foster dad. The song never tells us what happens to these two but we're led to believe that it all works out in the end with the chorus.

Hey Man I'm alive I'm taking each day and night at a time
Yeah, I'm down, but I know I'll get by
hey hey hey hey man, gotta live my life
Like I ain't got nothing but this roll of the dice
Feeling like a monday, but someday I'll be Saturday Night

All in all, a bouncy and catchy song that, if you don't pay attention to closely to the lyrics, is a good pick me up.

I don't have any specific memories associated with it, but it does conger up a few random memories of 94. Working in the Photo Lab at Wal-Mart, hanging out with friends and generally enjoying life as a 20 year old. I had it pretty good those first few years after high school. There was of course "drama" with friends and parents but for the most part, I think back fondly at the people in my life at the time.


Life was always Saturday Night when you're that young.

No comments:

Post a Comment